What do you think a hosted desktop is? If you thought that it’s just like your standard desktop computer, then you’re not entirely wrong. A hosted desktop is just that. But at the same time, it’s also more.
A hosted desktop is like your regular computer. You log on and access your files or software. However, a hosted desktop works by delivering all of the necessary data, software and operating systems over the internet. Unlike your computer, where your files are stored physically on a hard drive.
A hosted desktop doesn’t even have to be physically in front of you for you to use it!
How Does a Hosted Desktop Work?
Hosted desktops, otherwise known as Desktop-as-a-Service (DaaS), is a unique solution that allows users to access a desktop from anywhere using any device at any time via the internet. This is in stark contrast to using a standard desktop or laptop, where you are tethered to a single location.
Offered by various hosting services around the globe, a hosted desktop solution can pretty much do what a local desktop can. This includes, among others, sending and receiving emails, browsing the internet and accessing the firms practice management system.
Perhaps the best part about hosted desktop services is that they have a heightened level of security compared to PCs. This is mainly because the files are stored on the cloud, where there are multiple back-ups and fail-safes in place. This ensures that your data stays safe and secure at all times.
Why Should You Use Hosted Desktop Services?
There are many hosting services offering hosted desktop services today and for a good reason. Hosted desktops are a safe and cost-effective solution for companies of all sizes.
Here are some of the many benefits of using hosted desktops in the workplace:
- Your company doesn’t need to buy or maintain its own service anymore
- Better, more powerful PCs with larger storage capacities at a fraction of the cost
- You can scale up and down on demand
Virtually zero hassle
- Because the service is on-demand, you can easily order additional storage space or more power when required
- It’s easy to maintain consistency in business applications across multiple users
Safe and secure data
- Hosting services back up data automatically and test these back-ups regularly to make sure that they’re working
- All data is encrypted and stored in secure, controlled data centres
- Systems and software are constantly protected with regular software fixes and security updates
- Storing data on the cloud is now generally considered safer than physically storing it
- Everyone has access to everything that they need everywhere they go
- There is virtually zero downtime
An entire hosted desktop network with remote access capabilities allows your company to field multiple computers without necessarily having computers be physically in your office. This saves your company a lot of office space, which can then be used towards other more productive purposes.
Most companies these days need to be online 24/7, and a hosted desktop is the perfect solution.